The Literary Luncheons at Stella Maris Academy, St. John’s

The Literary Luncheon Club at Stella Maris


Literary Luncheons are the best! About once a month, Mrs. Larson and her students spend a lunch period discussing a classic or contemporary classic novel that students have read independently over the previous month. 

Then after school, they watch a film of the book, discuss its merits and faithfulness (or not) as an adaptation, and eat movie-themed snacks.

The size of the group involved varies depending on interest and reading difficulty, but even so– look at this big happy group of students who participated in J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Fellowship of the Ring!”

A Financial Gift of Substantial Means Presented to Stella Maris Academy

Stella Maris Academy wishes to announce the school was recently the recipient of a private donation in the amount of $250,000. This extraordinary gift demonstrates great confidence in Stella Maris Academy’s vision for Catholic school education in Duluth. 

Hilaire Hauer, president of Stella Maris Academy, said, “This gift exemplifies a certain movement in our community: people coming together to support Catholic school education in Duluth.” 

This gift enables the school to meet annual budget needs and further strategic plan priorities. The school relies on community support and fundraising in order to maintain affordable Catholic education. Income from family tuition provides 60% of daily operational costs, while the remaining 40% is made up of generous parish and community support, and donations such as this one. 

Every gift matters to Stella Maris Academy. Last year, the school was the recipient of over $425,000 in private donations, both large and small. SMA is immeasurably grateful for all of its supporters whose donations of time, talent, and treasure enable us to provide exceptional Catholic school education in Duluth for today’s students and future generations. 

With three campuses located across Duluth, Stella Maris Academy is a Catholic Liberal Arts school educating children Pre-K through 8th grade. Stella Maris Academy places high importance on educating the whole child through four pillars of education: intellectual, spiritual, human and the care of others through stewardship. 

Opportunities to donate to Stella Maris Academy can be found online at: Grateful, Thankful, Blessed To learn more about SMA, visit: www.stellamaris.academy